Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Dress for Success

Just because a freelancer works out of a home office or the local coffee shop doesn’t mean he/she should bum around in sweats and a t-shirt. At the same time the power suit is not really a wardrobe must.

The first three weeks I launched into the life of a full-time freelance I didn’t bother dressing up. My home office is on the third floor of the house, separated from every noise and distraction and totally separate from people. I figured it didn’t matter what I was wearing. No one would see me. I was just sitting in front of a computer all day.

By that third week, my motivation and excitement was lagging. I began to worry. Then a friend, who incidentally I met for lunch still looking like a scrub, said to me why don’t you dress cute anymore. OUCH. She was right.

And while it’s tempting to sit around in your pjs or workout clothes all day, your production level is going to be higher if you take time with your appearance. Throw on jeans and a nicer top. Leave the worn, discolored college t-shirt in the drawer. Women: do your makeup and hair. Men: Shave, comb your hair.

Dressing up a little will remind you that you’re still working. You’ve got a job to do, deadlines to meet, editors to please, pitches to send. Even a nice pair of jeans and a sharp shirt will help you focus more on the work in front of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment