Sunday, May 17, 2009

Just Stop

It's 11pm on Sunday, which means I technically have one hour left to post a blog entry for today in order to be on my game for the #MayBlog2. I'm not going to bore you with fluff.

The life of a freelancer, as I am sure is true of anyone who owns his/her own business, is never on pause. There are weekends, sure - times when things enter a slightly different mode. But I don't think a day has gone by that I haven't scribbled out at least 500 words on something since I started this full-time freelancer 'thing.' And while my mind runs constantly along new articles to pitch, new areas to cover, new stories to assign, new ways to market, etc... there are days when it's necessary to walk away.

That's what I did today. I got up, did my normal Sunday routine and then instead of jumping on the computer by 10am, I spent time with friends, went to the gym for a longer workout, walked outside in the glorious spring weather and had dinner with a friend. Sure it means I was writing an article at 10pm that must be live by 5am tomorrow, but the time away helps to ground me in what really matters and realize there is more to life than words on a computer screen.

Every once in a while - Just Stop. Get Out. Live.

No comments:

Post a Comment